day 358


Today was the day we'd all been waiting for! Our first official day of student teaching. Ashley and Kristen were both placed at Berwyn Heights with me, and we attempted to take a self-timer picture of ourselves in our cute teacher outfits before heading off to school!

It was a great first day! I have 33 students in my class, and while I've barely gotten a chance to meet all of them, they all seem like great kids. It's funny how quickly you can tell things about kids - like who will be the trouble maker or the class clown, who has a good sense of humor, or who is too smart for their own good. Case in point - while going over the medical precautions for a field trip they're going on in a few weeks, my little 5th grade friend "D" turned to me and asked:

D: What if someone has a seizure while we're there?
Me: I'm sure that won't happen. And if it does, there will be a nurse there who will know what to do.
D: Well we should probably make sure that we take them to a wide open space where there's nothing they can knock over and everyone should just stand back so they don't get hurt and their eyes might roll back into their head but that doesn't mean they died it just means they're still having the seizure and *takes a deep breath* they'll probably have a headache when they stop seizing so we'll need to make sure we bring some tylenol.
Me: Umm...yes. We'll definitely bring some tylenol.
So now I know we have an experts on seizures in the class! (He's also an expert on beetles....)

I'm exhausted after day one, but can't wait to go back tomorrow :)

0 comments: