campeones del mundo!


How lucky am I to have been in Spain on the night they won the World Cup for the first time in history?! What a crazy night!





It was a looong 117 minutes with no score, squished in between tens of thousands of people in Plaza Espanya, where the city had set up huge screens for us to watch the game on. But it was allll worth it when that goal was scored! The crowd went crazy - I've never seen anything like it.And then, when it was clear that we won, the craziness continued-screaming, dancing, crying, fireworks,horns blowing...it was insane. People were climbing the statues, scaling walls, standing on the roofs of bus and metro stops. I'll never be able to do it justice with words, and I'm writing this post from my phone, so pictures will have to come later! (For a frame of reference though, think of Philly after the world series win times 4, or Maryland after the Duke game times 15!!)




I called Reghan in Alicante while we were celebrating to see what she was doing to celebrate, and it sounded like she was having an equally amazing time.It was then that it occurred to me how cool the world cup really is. The fact that the ENTIRE country of Spain was celebrating the win, that everyone is so passionate about futbol and was able to see their team win the cup - when else does that ever happen? The only other world wide competition I can think of are the Olympics. I mean the olympics are cool and all, but there aren't exactly riots in the streets of an entire country when their basketball team wins the gold.

Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is that this was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I'm so happy I was a part of it. I feel like it's really connected me to Barcelona and to Spain...for at least one night I didn't feel like a COMPLETE tourist. :)

That's all for now - blogging via phone isn't the easiest thing in the world. Hopefully I'll get to an internet cafe later today to post pictures from last night, and also to tell you about my day trip to Girona and the Salvador Dali museum on Saturday!

What a weekend!
Adios for now!
Xoxo
Lorena

0 comments: