Lucky Duck

I was thinking about luck when I was boarding train #1111 from platform 11 at 11am on Saturday morning, and I realized that I am one lucky girl.

I've been noticing that a lot since I've been in Spain - and even more so in the past few days. So I hope you'll excuse me for a minute and not mistake this for bragging while I elaborate a little bit...

I'm lucky that I get to be on this trip in the first place - that I have parents who could appreciate what a great experience this was going to be and were willing to send me here for the summer, that I was able to work and save money for so long so that I could enjoy myself here, that I'm healthy and happy - physically and emotionally able to do something like this. Just being here for 7 weeks is a blessing in itself.

I'm lucky that I chose ISA. They handled every single aspect of the trip beautifully and with such personal, detailed attention. I feel like any study abroad program can pull off a successful 5 week summer program easily, but it was the little things that made the difference and made you feel like they were really there for you. Little things like a real person answering the phone in the Texas office when I called with questions before I left. Or like one of the Barcelona program directors calling the train station for me when I was having trouble buying tickets online and couldn't speak to them in Spanish. Or like how any one of them will spend 15 minutes with you in front of a map explaining how to get somewhere, which metro stop to get off at, what the best times to go are, etc... Or like how they organized and paid for each and every one of us to have a taxi service to the airport or train station on the last day. Those are only a few of the things ISA did to make us feel comfortable and make sure we were making the most of our time there. (Needless to say - if you're ever thinking about studying abroad, absolutely go through them. I would again in a heartbeat!)

I'm lucky that I had Maggie. Even though I'm sure I could have done it alone, it would have been such a different experience (and not nearly as fun, obviously =]). There were so many times during the trip when I thought, "thank God Maggie's here." Whether it was when I first got to Madrid not knowing a single soul, or when I was feeling a little homesick in the beginning, or when I needed someone to laugh with when Rafaela graphically described how to kill a rabbit at dinner, or when I needed to take a cab in the middle of the night to a 24-hour pharmacy...I could go on and on obviously, but the gist is that I'm so glad that we got to do this together. :)

....I realize I'm being a little bit longwinded here so I'll do the rest in more of a list format for everyone's sake.

I'm lucky that we were assigned to live with Rafaela.
I'm lucky that I met the people that I did, and that I now have places to visit all over the US.
I'm lucky that I got to spend a weekend in Costa Brava and another one in Rome.

I'm lucky to be in Alicante. (this one deserves a little more explanation!)
In Alicante, we're staying in an apartment owned by one of my mom's cousins. On the first floor of the building, there are two apartments. One belongs to one of my extended family's closest friends, Carmen. She's lived here her entire life, and knows everyone and everything in the city. The other, which belongs to my mom's cousin, is where we're staying. It's huge and absolutely gorgeous, and would be a treat to stay in any time, but I feel like I appreciate it even more after my time at Rafaela's. Maggie and I probably looked like kids in a candy store when we got here and learned that there was air conditioning and wi-fi. I'll post more about our time here a little later, but I'm lucky on so many levels to be ending our trip in this beautiful city in this beautiful apartment, spending time with family and friends and being treated so well by our hosts =].

Finally, I'm lucky to have family, friends, and an entire life at home that I can't wait to get back to. It would be easy to want to stay in these beautiful places I've been and leave the mundane, everyday things from home behind, but I wouldn't trade that life in for anything. (Just as long as I can come back here and visit!!)

That's all I've got for now, but I had to take a minute and look at the big picture and make sure that I'm not taking any of this for granted. Every minute of it is better than the last, and I can't believe that it will all be over soon!

But I don't want to think about that right now....now it's time to go to the beach =]
Hasta luego!
xoxo
Lauren



0 comments: